Wednesday, August 25, 2010

"Yo Daddy Don't Like Me", 36x45"

When I was a kid I dated this girl for a couple years. "Amy Marcle".......It was serious. She was much more to me than just a date, a pretty girl, or locker room bragging rights. I even had to deck a couple of guys who "inquired" about the nature of our intimacy. Being that I had lost my virginity with her, what we shared was more than just, "a fuck". It was special and I loved her. Hmm......I really thought we would get married after high school and be together to this day.

And wouldn't you know it....her dad hated me.

During this time I had long hair, an earring and was fond of sleeveless tshirts. This was the eighties.....Sweetwater, Tx......long hair and earrings were not acceptable. Not to mention the crowd I ran with. Felons in training......everyone. But I could not convince him I had the best intentions. That underneath the rough exterior was an altarboy. (Go ahead, laugh...I really was a good kid) He even chased me off once with a hose. I came walking up the sidewalk and he was watering the yard. I said, "Hi Johnny", and I was answered with a cold burst in the face and him yelling, " Get the hell outta here!" (Although, I envisioned the village carrying torches and screaming, "Kill the monster"!)

Time has a way of providing perspective. I'm 41 now and I live a long way across town from 16. A lot of what I thought would happen between myself and Amy... I now realize was just a boy's romantic notions. I am aware I hung out with punks and looked liked one. And..... I'm a daddy.....of three beautiful daughters.....whom I love dearly......and only want the best for. Whom I am not above killing for, or at least maiming, to see their hearts aren't broken. I am also a judgmental daddy of my daughters suitors, callers, notepassers, kiss blowers, etc. If a kid with long hair, earring/s, and a sleeveless AC/DC tshirt came knocking...my radar would set off national emergency warnings in my head.......and I would light a torch.

No comments:

Post a Comment